Old 12-13-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberintexas007

Disappointing Thing Happened Today With Husband's Family

As you know, I sent an email to my husband's mother last week letting her know that I thought it was great her son opened up to her about his sobriety from alcohol. And I was happy because even though it is up to my husband to not drink, his family in the past has made this goal of his more of a challenge. She had emailed me back that she has always thought her son should abstain from alcohol.

Ok, great.

So today his mom and stepfather were out and about on a small overnight trip (we both had talked to his mom earlier). So my husband then gets a text of his mother eating lunch with a message where she was eating at, but the picture had in front of it an empty shot glass and empty Corona bottle. This text was sent to my husband, his sister, his stepsister, and stepbrother. My initial feeling was disappointment, as she looked a little drunk in the text, and I just did not think this was a great picture for my husband to get.

So, he then gets another text from his stepfather, who also looked a little loopy. In his picture, he included a message saying that he was enjoying tomato bisque soup and brandy (with the soup and brandy in the picture). This picture made me feel a lot of disappointment, as his stepfather was spelling out the alcohol (brandy).

I told my husband that this is just really disappointing, as these pictures are not supportive of his new sobriety from alcohol. When I had told his mother in the email last week that we can all be supportive of her husband in OUR OWN UNIQUE WAYS, this is exactly what I was talking about.

My husband agreed with me, that he did not understand why they were sending these pictures with the alcohol in it (this was good that he saw this, yah!)

So, my husband sent a text back to them (he had me write it since I am better at writing), and he told them "thank you for the pictures, but I am sober and don't drink anymore."

His mom then sent a text back saying, "I know you don't drink anymore, but don't you still like clam chowder and tomato bisque soup." He did not want to get in a conflict with her, and so he texted back "We love you, it's just that I'm trying not to drink anymore." She then texted back "We love you too."

So that was that. Just wanted to hear some feedback on this situation.