Thread: Detox
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobieski

Originally posted by Iolo
Thank you all for your replies. I've been doing a lot of thinking during the past week, and I'm even considering rehab if I can make it work.

I run a restaurant, and I'm currently understaffed, which is why I said I can't pick up and leave. My boss, the owner, is a good man; I'm certain he would understand, but I can't leave him with my staffing problem.

So I've spent the last week training my assistant in all the things I normally do (under the pretense I plan to go on vacation for a few weeks this summer). I hired two people today, and once I get a couple more I should be able to remove myself from the equation for a few days at least, if not a month to go to rehab.

But it will take a few weeks to get to that point, and I don't want to wait that long. I want to go see a doctor tomorrow to get the ball rolling, but I'm afraid I'll be hospitalized or put in a detox center, and there isn't anyone who can cover my shifts right now... a classic Catch-22.
When I sobered up my situation was very similar.
I had just opened my own business, and as the old saying goes, the buck stopped there.

I found an M.D. who was willing to do an outpatient detox. It can be done. I dunno if they will put you in a center or not, but I would go with whatever the doctor recommends.

The approach I took, and still take with my sobriety and attendance at meetings ( I do the AA thing) is that it is a life threatening illness. If I had cancer and a doctor told me I had to be in a hospital for two weeks, there is no question that I would do it. Likewise, if a doctor told me I had to go into a recovery program, I would do it.

Hope that helps, and the best of luck to you.