Notices

Detox

Old 12-30-2002, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Detox

Hello. I'm looking for general information on what detox medication is like, or if it's even necessary.

I've been drinking on an almost daily basis for about 10 years now. I go to work, come home, drink 13-15 Bud Lights, eat, and go to sleep. I live alone, and drink alone. Until now, I've never admitted to anyone but myself I have a problem.

The thing is, I can't just pick up and leave my job for a month to go to rehab. I'd like to get a prescription for medication, and start going to AA meetings, but I've heard the stuff makes the taker sleep a lot. Is that true?

The reason I ask this is, even though I don't even think about drinking until I'm home at night, I'm scared to stop without medication. My brother, who has been sober for three years, had a seizure while trying to quit cold turkey once. But, at that time his life consisted of waking up and drinking hard liquor until he passed out again, and going for days on end without food.

I've been reading the posts in this forum, and it seems like many people here have stopped drinking with only the help of AA. Is this true? Or am I deluding myself with my "plan?"
Old 12-30-2002, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Iolo,

Welcome to the recovery forums. I am so glad you found us and decided to share. Many of us have been in your shoes, you're not alone. I also used my drug of choice mostly alone. I call that my not able to sit with myself time of the day.

You have taken a very big and commendable first step by admitting you have a problem and seeking out help. I understand your job situation and if you feel you can't go to rehab, there have been many people that have been able to get sober using AA. I will just say that it is one month out of your life that may infact save your job and everything else that is dear to you. If anything maybe you can just go to a detox for a few days. You've been drinking quite a bit for a long time and it would be safer to detox under a doctors care so that you can be continually evaluated. After detox you could always get into an outpatient care program that is held in the evenings.

In terms of medication, I am not a doctor nor am I an advocate for using drugs to detox off drugs so I am going to leave that question to people who will give you the appropriate answer. I will however say this: If you can, read some of the posts about methadone withdrawl on the substance abuse forum. People go through worse pain and withdrawl on the medicine they got addicted to trying to detox off things than if they would just have left the meds alone. Most times, they wind up being on methadone for life and there are some terrible side effects.

I don't know about what type of medication is given to detox off alcohol. I am curious also if you are talking about antibuse, but I don't think so. Antibuse helps people detox because it's used to make sure they don't drink because it will make you violently ill if you do.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. I am not sure a magic pill exists to get clean and sober. I think if there was I would have found it by now and I would have put all my $ into the company that makes it because they would make a fortune. I think from how it happened to me, this is just one of those times you have to pay your dues. But when you do the rewards are phenominal.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Hi IOLO,

And welcome to the community.

Of all the substances to detox from, alcohol is by far the most dangerous. With opiates like heroin you want to die. With alcohol, you can die. While it may not be necessary to leave wirk for a month or two, a detox from daily drinking should always start with a visit to your doctor. Many factors have to be considered, especially your liver and heart.

Generally, a doctor will prescribe meds which will prevent you form having a seizure due to the detox. There are several other meds than can help with withdrawals and even cravings. But again, this all starts with being honest with a doctor, hopefully one who has experience with alcoholism/addiction.

Please realize that the real work comes after detox. And whether you decide on a 12-step group or other means of staying sober, it is work. Please let us know how you are doing, and don't be afraid to ask for help.

We need you here...
Old 01-06-2003, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

I am on the same boat as you

Yey Iolo,

I drink about the same amount each night after work as you, and alone. I mix wine and beer. I go to work each day and never think about drinking until about an hour before I am off.

This is my 4th day sober and I am doing it cold turkey. I think if bud lite is your choice, you can do it too. Hard stuff is different. You need to ask help from God first. Maybe get baptized to start off. I do miss coming home from work and have a nice glass of wine, relax watch some tv, and surf the net. But when your liver starts to hurt and you get little red spots on your face, it's time to quit. You need a break. Even if you only make it a week, you saved your body a month.

The hardest part for me is when I sleep. Between 1:am and 6:am is very rough. Waking up every hour to wipe down the sweat and change into a new shirt. The nightmares of demons chasing and hurting me with electric jolts and my body twitching is no fun either. Last night was my third night sober and it was alot better. I just awoke about a half hour ago and I must addmit, my body and mind feel better than in a long time.

I try to eate better food to fill the void of the buzz, and it seems to help. Give it a try because I am new here, and have had no repies to a couple of my posts, and I sure could use a friend. We can help each other out. I sense their are some good people on this forum who can help us.

Best of luck, and for sure keep in touch!

Watson
Old 01-06-2003, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome

Welcome to both of you Ioli and Watson,

I have meant to say that for a few days but I am diligently working my program, and my computer time is limtied, so I just read and don't respond if I don't have a good answer. Which in this case, and your first post Watson, is true. I didn't suffer from nightmares or DTs....I didn't really know That alcohol withdrawal could kill you which Jon mentioned ( I actually am glad I didn't know and I have learned several other new things, since I sobered up that will definetly haunt me about drugs, alcohol and there effects.

I notice sometimes on the weekends threads don't get answered right away...but there are plenty of people around to help you out. Sometimes just by reading posts, doing a search for words, you can find that the answers are already here for you.

Keep Coming Back
Anne
Clean & Sober 37 Days
Old 01-06-2003, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Iolo

some people go to detox and some do fine without, I would say ask a doctor, but I feel most doctors would check you into a detox, from my own experience, I went through a 7 day detox,
after several hours of D.T.'s, I was put on Valium, and given less each day, untill a day or two before I was released, it presented no problem for me, and I have now been sober for over 6 years.
Thanks to my higher power and A.A.

Jay Walker

Last edited by The Jay Walker; 01-06-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you all for your replies. I've been doing a lot of thinking during the past week, and I'm even considering rehab if I can make it work.

I run a restaurant, and I'm currently understaffed, which is why I said I can't pick up and leave. My boss, the owner, is a good man; I'm certain he would understand, but I can't leave him with my staffing problem.

So I've spent the last week training my assistant in all the things I normally do (under the pretense I plan to go on vacation for a few weeks this summer). I hired two people today, and once I get a couple more I should be able to remove myself from the equation for a few days at least, if not a month to go to rehab.

But it will take a few weeks to get to that point, and I don't want to wait that long. I want to go see a doctor tomorrow to get the ball rolling, but I'm afraid I'll be hospitalized or put in a detox center, and there isn't anyone who can cover my shifts right now... a classic Catch-22.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobieski

Originally posted by Iolo
Thank you all for your replies. I've been doing a lot of thinking during the past week, and I'm even considering rehab if I can make it work.

I run a restaurant, and I'm currently understaffed, which is why I said I can't pick up and leave. My boss, the owner, is a good man; I'm certain he would understand, but I can't leave him with my staffing problem.

So I've spent the last week training my assistant in all the things I normally do (under the pretense I plan to go on vacation for a few weeks this summer). I hired two people today, and once I get a couple more I should be able to remove myself from the equation for a few days at least, if not a month to go to rehab.

But it will take a few weeks to get to that point, and I don't want to wait that long. I want to go see a doctor tomorrow to get the ball rolling, but I'm afraid I'll be hospitalized or put in a detox center, and there isn't anyone who can cover my shifts right now... a classic Catch-22.
When I sobered up my situation was very similar.
I had just opened my own business, and as the old saying goes, the buck stopped there.

I found an M.D. who was willing to do an outpatient detox. It can be done. I dunno if they will put you in a center or not, but I would go with whatever the doctor recommends.

The approach I took, and still take with my sobriety and attendance at meetings ( I do the AA thing) is that it is a life threatening illness. If I had cancer and a doctor told me I had to be in a hospital for two weeks, there is no question that I would do it. Likewise, if a doctor told me I had to go into a recovery program, I would do it.

Hope that helps, and the best of luck to you.