Thread: Sober update
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

Sober update

Had excellent discussion with therapist this morning. He will not be my designated counsellor once my names rolls up off the the 6 week to 2 month "wait list" but he did do my initial assessment. He had given me his card in case I needed to speak to anyone whilst I was waiting...

We talked a lot of my excess energy and passion and how it needs to be channeled appropriately lest it simply burrow into my brain and make me all together far too "mental". He gave me some excellent insight into how most of us have no idea how to handle our "personalities" and that with some work we are able to separate from our identities to lessen our reactivity and such...

Something he said reminded me of something my old counsellor used to mention, about how she had to do certain "disciplines" in the morning to prepare herself for the work she did each day.

I asked him if he did so as he is eardeep in addiction day after day at the "community, social services" level...

He essentially advised me that he spend almost 2 hours each and every morning on mental and physical disciplines in order to do what he does. It led to an amazing discussion and it all made perfect sense.

I realized that I must put much more energy and effort into managing myself with daily physical, emotional and spiritual disciplines...

I need to start breaking in those wild horses...each and every day...whether I feel like it or not