Notices

Sober update

Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober update

Had excellent discussion with therapist this morning. He will not be my designated counsellor once my names rolls up off the the 6 week to 2 month "wait list" but he did do my initial assessment. He had given me his card in case I needed to speak to anyone whilst I was waiting...

We talked a lot of my excess energy and passion and how it needs to be channeled appropriately lest it simply burrow into my brain and make me all together far too "mental". He gave me some excellent insight into how most of us have no idea how to handle our "personalities" and that with some work we are able to separate from our identities to lessen our reactivity and such...

Something he said reminded me of something my old counsellor used to mention, about how she had to do certain "disciplines" in the morning to prepare herself for the work she did each day.

I asked him if he did so as he is eardeep in addiction day after day at the "community, social services" level...

He essentially advised me that he spend almost 2 hours each and every morning on mental and physical disciplines in order to do what he does. It led to an amazing discussion and it all made perfect sense.

I realized that I must put much more energy and effort into managing myself with daily physical, emotional and spiritual disciplines...

I need to start breaking in those wild horses...each and every day...whether I feel like it or not
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Daily meditation is exercise for your spiritual condition.
I highly recommend it
Old 12-05-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Nudawn glad to hear you sounding so positive after your initial assesment and i hope it continues to go well

there is a book i recently read its called the chimp paradox and i think youd benefit greatly from this book as i did

Your attitude towards this sounds spot on Nudawn
Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Daily meditation is exercise for your spiritual condition.
I highly recommend it
I wish I was disciplined enough to do this. I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you asked your therapist 'the million dollar question', Nuu. What a very worthwhile session!!!
Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad it was good Nuu.

Sounds like you got a lot of precious nuggets out of that.

I think preparation in the morning makes all the difference to a day-taking time to get calm and getting ready for the onslaught lol.

Great to hear you sounding so positive xx
Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nuudawn,
I just want to say that I think your are an incredibly amazing special person. I can always tell that the advise and support you give people comes from the heart. I always look forward to reading your posts. They show a lot of wisdom and caring. Your insight into other peoples' issues is truly a gift. You have a very unique (good) way of expressing yourself. They always put a smile on my face. I know you have what it takes to get through this tough time. I have complete faith in you. No doubts. John
Old 12-05-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

This is great news Nuudawn. You're doing everything right - surely a wonderful new beginning will be the result.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As I recall, nuu, I heard about headspace from you....which lead to insight timer. Maybe revisit them? (I need to, also!)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great insights as always, Nuu.

I think I read somewhere that his holiness the Dalai Lama was once asked what the key to happiness was and he said, "routines." I thought that was such a seemingly simple and stunningly profound answer. I know that at times in my life where I've kept to routines (morning, evening, at work, with food, exercise, mental health) I have felt much more peaceful. Currently, it is the key to my sobriety. Where I have to be careful is getting t too perfectionist about it and thinking that if I don't do it "just right" it doesn't somehow count.

Thinking good thoughts for you...