View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
endlesspatience

I'm getting angry with strangers

It's 100 days since I stopped drinking and smoking - with one exception. I drank about four pints and smoked five or six cigarettes on one night, just after I'd got three months continuous sobreity.

Anyway, I find myself getting angry with strangers I see smoking in the street. I have sometimes confronted them if I see them smoking in public places. Like today, it was really cold in London. A young mother pushed her baby out into the smoking area outside the station so it was sitting in the smoke produced by all the other smokers. Without raising my voice, I went up to her and asked her if she'd thought about the implications. She shouted at me and told it was none of my business and I didn't know her and basically get lost. I said I would leave but first please can she can think about the implications for the kid because the kid can't.

Anyway, all it did was make the woman really, really angry and left me feeling defeated and annoyed for a few hours.

A similar thing happened when I confronted a women who was smoking outside a cancer hospital the other day.

I know I should be able to walk past smokers and ignore them and usually I do but sometimes I get angry and I fear this is going to lead me into a fight and I'll get punched in the face.