Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
thequest

Originally Posted by hummingbird1094 View Post
I have posted before. I have a 20yr. old son who is now doing a dual major in college and completing a 1 1/2 semesters ahead of his normal graduation date. He worked for my dad over the summer doing odd things because he could not seem to get a job. He was hired but failed the drug test so that was the end of that. Since then he has used up all of his earnings. Tried getting a job on campus but was told his financial aid was not great enough. He has put applications out but nothing. My son does weed. He was drinking excessively but has cut that back. Except for last week the only money he had was for a case of beer. He has been having a string of bad luck and has been suffering from anxiety and depression so that doesn't help. He does very well in college. He is also taking 4 classes over the 6 week college break over the holidays. When I mentioned some jobs I seen advertised last night, I got "well I am saving you 3 semesters of room and board for graduating early". I can't get a job with my class schedule.... I don't like that he does weed as much as he does. That is all he ever spends his money on. He buys his girlfriend nothing.
I'm with anvil on this-where is the money coming from and the anxiety and depression probably come from alcohol and drug abuse. And by the way was he formally diagnosed as having depression or anxiety? The problem one around keeps on talking about 'his' depression when trying to drum sympathy for money. He keeps cycling on and off peds/steroids and wonders about his moods-duh.

Sometimes the smart ones are too "smart" for their own good. Life is not in the class room or mapped out like a course syllabus. Sounds like your son has a lot of raw talent. But unless it is developed and coincides with a steady maturing process he could wind up one of the many that could've been or could've had-the world is full of them.

The problem one here also has many an excuse for not getting "a" job. At least your son is 20 years old with time to mature and progress. We're getting the same attitude from a middle aged man more than twice his age. Nip the problem in the bud NOW. Time can cure or change some things but it also allows things to get worse.

GOOD LUCK!