View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LookASquirrel

The only concern is that since we are both in the business, and we network with others in it, that he can slam me. We all hire each other when we need extra help. He has my business listed on his LinkedIn profile as an "employer" (which I was not, he was a subcontractor) for a period when he was unemployed, so he didn't have a two-year gap in his employment history. When he got angry at me once, he updated his profile to say, "I no longer accept bookings through Company X (mine)"; rather than just listing an end date. He's since taken that comment down, but I'm concerned he'll throw it back up. One of my professional friends says, "No one cares what he says any way. That just makes him look small-minded."

I recently joined a professional organization to network, and have started cultivating some other professional resources. I've even spun off a LOT of new business for myself because of it.

I thought it was better to keep my friends close, and the competition closer. I just need to fine-tune my thinking to "do the footwork, and leave the results to God."

I'm tired of having to eat crow to keep the peace, even when it isn't my responsibility.

Katchie, you're right. I wouldn't tolerate this from anyone else. When I made contact with the new resources, I quickly sorted them out into who I'd hire and who I wouldn't based on their professionalism and ethics. At least I took those lessons with the X and other previous injurious business relationships to heart and learned from them going forward.

LexieCat, I loved your "practitioner of snark" (albeit occasional). It gave me some needed comic relief.

The roomie felt I was implying, "And you didn't even read my email." I felt tag-teamed this morning (both the roomie's reaction and X's unspoken non-reaction).

I appreciate both your replies. Though I don't post often, I read here a lot. Both of you have been great supporters of recovering codies and your replies to them help me immensely! Thank you!!!