Thread: Bad influences
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

Last spring I felt a lot like you, Boom. And I went through a time when I thought all those drinking buddies were just that - just drinking buddies. With time, however, I've learned that many of them drank and still drink, but not like me. Bit by bit I've realized that some, not all, of those people actually really were and still are friends. Of course, as a musician I had to decide to give up playing in bars and restaurants or brave the scene. Anyway, give yourself time. If you're not ready don't push it.

Some people still ask, "Are you still on the wagon?" My response is, "No, I'm not on the wagon. I don't drink anymore. It's different."

I've learned to be comfortable around drinkers, and I've learned to be accepting of their individual journeys. A lot of those folks are just fine. Some are far from it. And I know if I were still drinking I would most definitely NOT be fine.

For the most part people don't ask and don't care. I drink club soda with lime and they don't need to know if I have vodka or liquid acid or turpentine in there.

That said, I don't go to bars unless there is live music. Without the music I just get bored. The conversation tends to be better in coffee houses, anyway.