Old 11-18-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
newhope01

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
This post has given me some food for thought. I'm the child of two alcoholics, as well as an alcoholic myself. I've been with my husband for almost 16 years, and I've always struggled with intimacy. Now that I'm sober, I struggle even more because I don't have the buffer of alcohol to numb my fears and discomfort.
I am coping with the same issues as well right now josharon. I am also a child of two substance abusers as well as an alcoholic myself.

I too, like the OP, have suffered some sexual abuse prior to and as a result of my substance abuse.

I remember distinctively using alcohol to numb myself before intimacy with my partner, my now husband. One of my fears when I decided to give up the booze was, is he going to leave me now because I can't be intimate anymore? I've lost that buffer and the thought of sexual intimacy makes we want to cry.

Dont get me wrong, I love my husband.. I am just not comfortable with that level of intimacy yet.

To make matters worse, I know it would be wise to seek therapy over this but the mere thought of talking about my sexuality is a huge issue. One day at a time, Right?