View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hawks

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
I was just kind of curious if other married people have had a lot of difficulty when they took booze out of their marriage. I was under the impression it would be easier, there would be a veil lifted, and all things would be great.

This has not been the case in my experience. I enjoy not being drunk all the time, and not searching for times to drink. My wife is still drinking, not to excess but still drinking. However, it seems I can hardly deal with the bitching from my wife. I don't know if it has been this way for years, and I am now just noticing it as I am not under the influence three or four days a week.

By no means am I perfect, I certainly am far from it and have changed in the last few months, but have other people had this same experience? I am more calm, even keeled, feel better, and have energy to do fun things I have neglected for years because of alcohol. However, I can hardly get along with my wife. Certainly it is a trigger to drink, but I have done well to not fall back into my old habit.

If there is any advice out there from married men or women who have been through this, in regard to what I need to do to make it better I am all ears. We have been married for 18 years, the majority of them very happy. But this last several months is getting me a little worried for my future. I honestly would rather die from alcoholism than listen to my wife bitch and complain all the time. I certainly am happier now than I was when drinking, and I am not looking to go back to drinking, not at all. I like feeling good too much to go back, but something has to give!

Perhaps she is doing the change of life deal, and I know that is an issue, but for the love of God and all things Holy can she just stop complaining.

Thanks for your time.
My wife & I have both needed a lot of support.

Me with my emotions that lead me to drown them out with drink

Her with her emotions, caused by years of having to live with an alcoholic of my type.

Put the plug in the jug & all will be well ??

Not in my experience.

That's like thinking all will be well after a hurricane ...... "woohoo, look at this wifey .... the wind has stopped blowing"

The wind might have stopped, but there will be a LOT of wreckage to clean up.

Two programs of recovery, one for ex-problem drinkers & one for the spouses of same, were set up, back in the late 1930's & early 40's.

Still to this day, they are hugely popular & can help put back together shattered people, marriages & families.

Go find them would be my suggestion.