View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hi Patman, I'm sorry to hear your slip and that you are struggling emotionally. You did not say in your OP how exactly this girl and new relationship was triggering or linked to picking up the drink. I can tell you one thing from experience, though. I also had temptations to get into new relationships during my first months of sobriety, but resisted them and turned down interests from a few people because I somehow instinctively felt that they were not the right kind of attraction, either their side or mine. I understood more precisely why and how only later, with more sober time and self-work. So glad I did not give in to those initial desires. I now started seeing someone just about two weeks ago and this just feels so right, pleasant, and uncomplicated so far. An emotionally very healthy and mature man, it's very different from the relationships I've had during the past several years... He is also not much into drinking although does drink occasionally. I just shared with him yesterday why I don't drink... not the whole story with all gruesome details, just the fact that I had a problem with alcohol in the past. I was a bit anxious about this talk, but he was absolutely wonderful about it and did not even ask much, just let me know that he would be there for me in any form if I need help and support.

It's so worth being a bit patient, focusing on our recovery, and getting into relationships when it's the right time (means, we are ready for it emotionally) and person.

It sounds like you have learned something from this relapse. Get at it again and add as many "tools" as you can!