View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I envy your ability to not drink. I sometimes think about terrible things that could happen to me and what it would take to get me to turn to the bottle and quite frankly I'm not sure if i could be as strong as you are under those circumstances. I know its possible however becuase of people like you so there is hope.

Someone told me once as i complained about stuff. that It was like I was complaining about the color of my shoes to the guy who has no feet. That statement made me stop and think and put into perspective my problems. I'm not discounting yours or anyone elses problems its just sometimes we have to reflect on things is all.

I went to a neighbor once started complaining about a problem i was having with the city and my chickens. He replied practically in tears that his wife had just broken her hip and he was so worried. I stuffed my foot in my mouth. My chicken issue was nothing compared to his issues.
Realistically I never drank because I was sad or happy. I drank because I did not like who I was. The more I drank the less I liked me which required more alcohol. This started the death spiral which almost killed me.

My daughter was very proud of me and I believe her death on my 5 year sobriety birthday happened to be a constant reminder of the new life I have been granted