Old 11-06-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hammer
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by TerpGal View Post
Makes total sense. This also mirrors any of the other (formerly called) Cluster B PD's: Histrionic PD, Narcissistic PD, and Antisocial PD. They are supremely difficult to be around regardless of substance abuse. Although, take away the substance and the PD is still there. I cant imagine how horrible it must be to suffer with BPD with all that constant, deep emotional pain.
Yeah, this is about where I think the author was heading.

Not so much from damage or brain degradation that alcohol may cause.

But rather more like the Long Term folks that have had the problem(s) start well before Alcohol.

As far as hopeful's observation --

In my opinion, does it even matter? If there is no potential to be happy with that person for whatever reason, there it is.
Probably correct, as well. Like Terpgal noted, there is a High Hill of personal "in the brain" pain to overcome before one could even consider getting well. Like the A, the Mentally Ill person with a Personality Disorder would have to be honest and acknowledge they have one, to move out of the "unfortunates," category . . .

Real insight those 80 years ago in the AA Big Book about "born that way . . . " Cluster B tends to be genetic and cultured traced as inherited.

=======================

AA Chapter 5 How it works | AA | How it works|

How it works

RARELY HAVE we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.