Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by bradley26 View Post
I have been on and off the drink for a bit but it seems my dad has had enough of me which feels bad. My mum is also on the brink. I have been working out and lost more weight but the drink still gets me . I really dont want to be drinking next year as i have to get a job and am gonna be starting driving lessons in january . I cant function like a normal person with alcohol in my life and these goals ive set for the new year cannot be achieved with alcohol in my life. I want to stop now but i keep having thoughts that tell me to make the most of the next couple months and then start a fresh in the new year. Im just confused, the best thing recently is that im no longer depressed but i do have those dark feelings when i drink and the day after. I know im stupid for drinking but i really dont wanna drink next year and am trying to make the most of it while i can.
Hi Bradley; there is so much in your post that is positive - working out, losing weight, wanting to get a job, beginning driving lessons, not wanting to drink next year.

The part that concerns me is the part bolded and in red (my highlighting, not yours); thoughts and talk of "making the most of it" seem contrary to the positive and committed thinking required to get and stay sober. For me, achieving and maintaining sobriety required a total person overhaul - physically, emotionally and mentally. Realizing and accepting the fact that alcohol had absolutely nothing to offer me was a key part of that overhaul.

I remember that at one point you attended AA; are you still going?