View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
And I REALLY just want advice here - NO arguments. Every time I have gone to AA, it's been like 'Depressives Anonymous'. Nothing, to do with quitting booze, just loads of people telling everyone all about their problems and looking miserable because they couldn't drink alcohol.

My question is - is this NORMAL at AA meetings or have I just found a group of depressives? It put me right off and left me feeling like i needed a drink to get all their problems out of my head (I tend to take things on board and want to solve things for people)
AA's program is the Big Book. How to stop and stay stopped. The formula for this is the first 164 pages. The Twelve and Twelve is the instructional companion for this - incredible resource. You may find after reading these things you can relate more to those ( sometimes ) long drawn out war stories....
Yea, I am not a huge fan of drunk logs. Meetings are not the program of AA. Helpful, but by themselves would never keep me sober.

Groups vary depending on the members. I have been to the good and bad.

Read the book, ask questions related to it and gain understanding of 'How it Works" = chapter 5. I find listening to speakers on Youtube very beneficial related with some humor. If interested check out Earl H = Earl Hightower. There are many others. If you don't find it enlightening and funny, I will refund your money

Fly
Great post - from your heart!