Old 11-02-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cazza1982

New here. Problems with brother and dad :(

Hi there,
Have just joined the site as I feel a bit out of my depth with the addictions of my brother and father. My dad is an alcoholic and drinks everyday, he's made some terrible decisions over the last few years regarding money/property etc.

My brother is addicted to cocaine and has started using when he was about 20 I think (he's now 35). He's suffered 2 heart attacks and nearly went to prison for fraud. He has been in rehab twice and the 2nd time manager to stay clean for about 5/6 months. He's a liar and you never can believe a word he says. He's living in a v stressful situation at home (lives with my mum, v complicated finances regarding equity & investment in the property). He has asked to stay with us (me, my other half and our three children aged 5, 2 & 5 months. Said he's been told he has weeks to live and needs a safe house to make other plans. But I don't want him around my children really, is that bad to say? I love him and don't think he'd bring drugs here but how can I risk it?

If he is weeks away from dying and is currently showing awareness of his health, is there anything I can do to help without enabling him?

I feel so sad, he's got a terrible habit. Is super skinny & is getting over Bell's palsy. He's such a mess.

Xx