View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by alaek View Post
At 22, almost all of my friends drink just as much as me or more. I definitely know that some of them are indeed alcoholics but they are refusing to admit it. But others, i'm not so sure. Is binge drinking just so common with our generation? Will most of them "grow out of it"? Or are they all alcoholics? Does that mean that maybe I can just "grow out of it" too, or am I an alcoholic? I was always able to function. I never let alcohol get in the way of my schooling or anything like that. There was always a place and time to drink. In fact, I was able to have just one or two drinks with dinner with my more "sober" friends because I didn't want them judging me if I ordered more drinks. It's not like every single time I ever drank I'd always get blacked out. I think it was more about who I hung out with. But believe me, I wanted to get drunk. Every time I drank. But I was able to control it sometimes. Most times, not though. Every weekend when I'd go out with my "party" friends, I drank usually til I blacked out. Followed by really bad physical and even worse moral hangovers. Feeling like absolute complete **** about myself. Wishing I was a "normal" and "good" girl who didn't drink. Trying not to remember all of the embarrassing things I did... I always felt like when I was drunk I turned into a different person. It was never me. And I hated feeling like that. I knew that drunk girl wasn't me. But I didn't care. Idk, though. Isn't this normal in today's day and age? Thoughts???
Sounds exactly like me when I was 22. Two marriages, two DUIs, one hit and run, thousands of blackouts and a couple million dollars wasted later.... I never grew out of it.