View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
HeartsAfire

This is a really, really great post. You may not realize it, but you're getting it & you're growing in your sobriety.

Like Nu, I read the title of this post & thought, "Hell yeah it is. Thank you God."

I passed a few parents who reeked of alcohol last night & one who was even hiccuping & stumbled a bit. While I never actually drank while my kids trick-or-treated, I drank during most every other moment of their lives so yeah, there but for the grace of god & all...

I want to echo what Dee said about learning to calibrate & carve out time for you. I'm such an all or nothing at the speed of light kind of person (probably like most - busy moms especially). I used to think that doing things for me meant these grandiose, over-the-top events (a spa day, a pedicure, a girl's weekend, dinner, drinks & a concert, etc). As my sobriety is progressing, I'm learning that's not what time for me is about. That's all surface-y stuff. Know what I did for me yesterday? I had 2 preventative dr appts & I took a 30 min nap before the trick-or-treating. Then I had 2 pieces of pizza & a chocolate chip cookie. It was heaven & better than any day at the Red Door Salon. Elizabeth Arden's got nothing on me!!

Sobriety shows us it's the little things that make life worth living. You're getting that.

Pleased to be on this journey with you.