Thread: Grammar issues
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

I have to admit that writing on this thread makes me a little nervous.

Part of the reason I joined the forum is because writing is so hard for me compared to verbal communication. I am an avid reader but it did not translate into good spelling skills. My speaking skills are great! Though I grew up in an excellent school system our fourth grade teacher was very ill and I never learned grammar basics. As a result spelling and grammar are still not strong points for me. I am in awe of many on this board for their abilities to communicate clearly and succinctly.

Part of the reason writing was so hard for me was that it felt like a permenant expression of emotions (and who wants that, when you are attempting to ignore that emotions exist). For me I feel like learning to write is actually part of my recovery. I have been scared to even keep a journal over the years (that only I will read).

I work in the medical field, and a huge part of my job is writing. I can spell all sorts of medical terms correctly and my writing has improved drastically over the years BUT writing from a personal place continues to be hard. Those emotions AND the fear of knowing my grammar and spelling are not the best is part of why I joined the forum and continue to post.....

Part of my healing has been allowing others to see my writing and to help me with it. I have a number of trusted friends who I ask to review my work. My writing has improved because of this, but it has also been a good learning curve and deepened my friendships for me to be vulnerable.