Thread: Open Meeting
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Pagekeeper

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Another concern is 12-step programs can be controversial and I don't feel like having a potential argument about AA with non-members who might take a negative view of the program.
This!

I have been in a situation before where I listened to others (non-members) have a very negative conversation about AA. They had no idea I was a member. I am grateful for this experience because it really taught me how important anonymity is, for myself and for others. You just never know how other people feel about AA or if they look down upon it. Many non-alcoholics do not understand alcoholism at all. They are really not very empathetic and see it as a personal weakness. I disagree with them, of course, but I've also learned it's not my job to win everyone over or change their mind.

Breaking another's anonymity can do harm to them. You never know how their boss feels about it or their coworkers. I run my own business and I have NEVER told a client I'm an AA member. There is very often drinking at the events in which I work (weddings). Since my business relies on word-of-mouth, and there is usually drinking at weddings, I don't want potential clients to know. It can make people who do not understand AA uncomfortable.

Their drinking does not bother me at all, btw. I really do not even notice it. But I'm not about to go into the why of that with them. I'm just there to do a job. And that is that.