Thread: Open Meeting
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Honest question(s) here...

How does someone being public about their recovery help them, or others? I read a lot about breaking the stigma, making people more aware, but how in the real world does this help? I truly don't know, and think on many levels it can be more harmful than helpful.

People don't live in caves. People know when they, or the people around them have an alcohol or drug problem. People can get thousands of resources for help with addictions by typing 2 words into a search engine. In an instant. How would my, or Christie Ally's admission of a problem or recovery be of help to the general public? What if someone who is public about their former problem starts drinking or using again? Or kills themselves as someone just did? A lot that says for "recovery". Help me understand this "awareness" thing that so many people seem to think the world is in darkness about? Most people I known, know where to go if they have a problem. Or maybe I'm in the dark.

And regarding the stigma... Is it really a bad thing to think poorly of yourself or someone else if they're driving drunk, being abusive, getting into fights, stealing, not showing up, and doing all the other negative things that are often associated with addiction? The "stigma"? I'm missing something there, too.