View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bookmaven

I don't really care who actually said the line about breaking out in handcuffs. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It's just something I say when well meaning non alcoholic offer me a drink to get a laugh.

In my state it is against the law to refuse FBT. When you get behind the wheel and drive it is implied consent that you can an will be given a FBT, breath BAC, urinalysis, and blood test for any reason if an officer thinks you are unsafe to drive. You can be ticketed and arrested just for refusal to test. Even if your tests come back negative, refusing to test is a charge that will be prosecuted resulting in possible jail time and a fine. Know the laws IN YOUR STATE.

I have no problem with the officer doing the field tests. What I do have a problem with is his threats and accusations, treating me like a dangerous criminal when in reality it was a minor traffic violation. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they patted me down, looking for weapons and drugs.

If however he had asked to search my car I do have the right to refuse that. They say things like "it's going to be a lot easier for you in court if you comply with our request." That is a lie. They have no authority whatsoever to "give you a break" in court. What that is double talk for "it will save us from having to get a warrant and bring out the sniffer dogs which will take hours and we just want to hurry up and find evidence that will stick in court so we can arrest you."

How do I know? I've been through it. Don't ever give them the opportunity to search your car even if you know there is nothing illegal there. Force them to get a warrant first. Again, KNOW THE LAWS IN YOUR STATE, and city by the way. City ordinances can also differ from state laws. They are particularly strict in the city where this happened to me.