View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SeekingGrowth

OK, I'll weigh in on this one. I'm not an alcoholic, but I like to have a glass of wine late in the evening most nights - sometimes two. A little over a week ago, I decided to not drink any alcohol for a couple of weeks, maybe more - sort of in solidarity with some friends of mine who are in recovery. And each day, the thought of having my glass of wine has crossed my mind, usually when I'm driving home from work, and I think about it with anticipation - then remember that I've decided not to drink right now. And so I think of something else I can do that would be an indulgence. I miss my glass of wine, but it's no big deal to not have it. I associate having my late-night glass of wine (and a little dish of olives) with relaxation - all the work is done and it is me-time. I don't like to feel drunk, so I never have more than two glasses - usually only one. While I miss my almost nightly ritual, I wouldn't say I crave it - that is too strong of a word. It's not hard to find a nonalcoholic alternative to give me that sense of "me-time" self-indulgence at night, which is what I really want. Like ice cream or popcorn or some cool new herbal tea.