Thx for your feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-12-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Huh ?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure of the importance to the question, the reality is I was addicted to alcohol and so needed to turn my life around so that myself and alcohol parted ways on a permanent basis, that was the reality and I needed a solution to that reality.

"Normal" drinkers probably do, say on a friday evening after work, but not in a destructive way, in the same way I fancy something sweet or a cold drink now and again!!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

This is a good question actually... I wouldn't think they did bc wouldn't that make them an alcoholic? I'd be curious to know the answer...

- B
Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My wife has told me she doesn't like feeling of being drunk. She has her glass of wine or if she wants to get wild and crazy she has two. Alcohol has zero power over her
Old 10-12-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a non alcoholic so I don't know Serenidad.

I know a lot of people who say they need a drink after a hard day but I don't think I can equate that to the cravings I had.

The non alcoholics I know never run to the bottle shop before it closes, they never call in sick to sit at home drinking, they never blow off responsibilities or get togethers to drink alone at home....they never drink before job interviews or exams...they never spend their last $10 on booze over food...they never embarrass themselves or put them selves in danger and then start drinking again in the morning...they never buy boxes of cheap wine because it lasts longer...they never steal the last beer and then deny it was them...

I could go on but you get the picture...no I'm pretty sure they don't crave like I did

D
Old 10-12-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It depends how you define "crave alcohol "

In the sense that alcoholics have a craving for more and more alcohol once they start drinking, then obviously they don't crave it in that sense.

But my wife, occasionally, has a really stressful day with our four kids and other stuff that adds to a totally crappy day and she goes "ahhhh screw it" and has a drink.

But the key difference is, she has one glass of wine, two tops (a really really crappy day) and then that's it.

In 12 years, I have never known her to go on to finish the bottle, and start on another.

No physical craving for more and more. Not ever.

But does she occasionally feel like a drink to blow off the stress... Absolutely.

That is normal and safe use of alcohol.

A privilege I never had, although it took me a long time to realise that.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. But after 1-2 drinks they stop. I crave food, but when I'm full I stop eating.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband has claimed he has cravings for it when he's stressed, just like he has cravings for a cigarette (he quit years ago). He puts them in the same category. He rarely drinks, and if he does, it's at his synagogue... a glass or two of wine (and I mean a regular glass... not one filled to the brim!) I've described to him my cravings and he sees there's a big difference Mine is a Pavlovian response at times... the sight of a bottle of wine makes me salivate. That's never happened to him.

I think he feels a temporary desire to escape, similar to an alcoholic, only he doesn't ruminate on it, salivate, lie and sneak around behind my back to hide it, etc. He doesn't plan to get in the car, drive to the store, and get two bottles to have enough to pass out. When I have cravings I see, taste, smell, feel the bottle and glass in my hand. I envision the drive to the specific store, the aisle it's on, and how long before I can open the bottle and pour a FULL glass.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok so the short answer is NO! I was afraid to ask that question in an AA meeting. I've always wondered. I guess I don't understand why people only drink one or two just like they don't understand why I want 100.

Thx! XO

Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think the confusion arises from many people saying they "crave" alcohol, when what is actually going on is that they think about it a whole lot.

In AA, thinking about booze a whole lot, is called the "mental obsession " and the "physical craving " is the part of alcoholism that ensures that we never stop at one or a handful of drinks.

So in AA we say, we have a two fold problem.

Mental obsession will eventually drive us back to drink, physical craving / allergy ensures we cannot moderate once we commence drinking.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I think the confusion arises from many people saying they "crave" alcohol, when what is actually going on is that they think about it a whole lot. In AA, thinking about booze a whole lot, is called the "mental obsession " and the "physical craving " is the part of alcoholism that ensures that we never stop at one or a handful of drinks. So in AA we say, we have a two fold problem. Mental obsession will eventually drive us back to drink, physical craving / allergy ensures we cannot moderate once we commence drinking.
Thanks Hawks! I can't drink but I want to drink. I don't want to drink but I want to. Does that make sense? Crazy!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a "non-drinker" I can say yes, there are times that I crave a drink. A drink. This week has been hellish and I told my RAH yesterday that I really wanted a drink. (I didn't have one because he is very early in recovery and that wouldn't be nice of me to drink in front of him). Our solution was to go get ice cream instead
Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Thanks Hawks! I can't drink but I want to drink. I don't want to drink but I want to. Does that make sense? Crazy!

Yep, 100% sense.

For some the mental obsession fades with time, and for others it doesn't.

Personally, I went to 7 meetings a week for two years and waited for the obsession to lift.

It didn't and I drank again.

This time around in AA, I have plunged into steps.

84 days sober, haven't had any mental obsession since the 40 day mark.

The difference between meetings and steps is chalk and cheese.

What seemed like the easier softer way, for two years, was anything but.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i'm curious, Serenidad, why this question is important to you?

i'm imagining it might be that you had/have a sliver of hope that if the answer were "yes, they do!" it gives you a shot at not being alcoholic?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OK, I'll weigh in on this one. I'm not an alcoholic, but I like to have a glass of wine late in the evening most nights - sometimes two. A little over a week ago, I decided to not drink any alcohol for a couple of weeks, maybe more - sort of in solidarity with some friends of mine who are in recovery. And each day, the thought of having my glass of wine has crossed my mind, usually when I'm driving home from work, and I think about it with anticipation - then remember that I've decided not to drink right now. And so I think of something else I can do that would be an indulgence. I miss my glass of wine, but it's no big deal to not have it. I associate having my late-night glass of wine (and a little dish of olives) with relaxation - all the work is done and it is me-time. I don't like to feel drunk, so I never have more than two glasses - usually only one. While I miss my almost nightly ritual, I wouldn't say I crave it - that is too strong of a word. It's not hard to find a nonalcoholic alternative to give me that sense of "me-time" self-indulgence at night, which is what I really want. Like ice cream or popcorn or some cool new herbal tea.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
i'm curious, Serenidad, why this question is important to you? i'm imagining it might be that you had/have a sliver of hope that if the answer were "yes, they do!" it gives you a shot at not being alcoholic?
Not really. I just have always wondered if cravings are a normal part of being an alcoholic and if non-alcoholics experience them. There really wasn't anything behind my question. Was really just curious.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeekingGrowth View Post
OK, I'll weigh in on this one. I'm not an alcoholic, but I like to have a glass of wine late in the evening most nights - sometimes two. A little over a week ago, I decided to not drink any alcohol for a couple of weeks, maybe more - sort of in solidarity with some friends of mine who are in recovery. And each day, the thought of having my glass of wine has crossed my mind, usually when I'm driving home from work, and I think about it with anticipation - then remember that I've decided not to drink right now. And so I think of something else I can do that would be an indulgence. I miss my glass of wine, but it's no big deal to not have it. I associate having my late-night glass of wine (and a little dish of olives) with relaxation - all the work is done and it is me-time. I don't like to feel drunk, so I never have more than two glasses - usually only one. While I miss my almost nightly ritual, I wouldn't say I crave it - that is too strong of a word. It's not hard to find a nonalcoholic alternative to give me that sense of "me-time" self-indulgence at night, which is what I really want. Like ice cream or popcorn or some cool new herbal tea.
So why are you on sober recovery if you're not an alcoholic? Is that a bad question? Probably, right? It doesn't sound like you have a problem. Sounds like you are a normal drinker. But if you have a desire to stop drinking then..... Xo

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think they do to be honest. Addiction is a spectrum and what is an "alcoholic" is somewhat subjective. I have plenty of little habits I'd struggle to a small extent giving up. For example spending too much time on the computer!

But if a doctor said to me that I would die If i continued using the computer, I would probably think about it from time to time, but giving it up would not compare to the difficulty I have had giving up drinking.

So it is the extent. But, I might suggest that if it had bothered you to the extent to join this forum, then this has likely taken up quite a bit of your headspace.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

there are people on SR who are not alcoholics or addicts or have issues with drink/drug but who are connected with/related to/ love someone who is an alcoholic/addict.

there is a whole family+friends section farther down here.