Old 10-11-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rosalba

Reading your original post, I found myself thinking that the Alanon slogan 'Let it begin with me' might be useful for you.

It WILL be difficult and crazy-making, processing your daughter's misdemeanours and their consequences - because they're not yours to process, and you are asking the impossible of yourself. She's an adult, she makes her own decisions and maybe, just maybe being involved with the law will be the wake-up call she needs to straighten out her life.

I don't have children, but I know my own mother feels terribly guilty about neglecting us when we were young, and does her best to make amends. Unfortunately, this involves enabling my alcoholic brother (aged 50), and trying to make life 'nice' for him - to the point that she will actually go out and buy his alcohol.

Sometimes, the most useful thing we can do for another person is to let them go. Certainly, one of the most useful things we can do for ourselves is to establish a clear boundary in our own minds, and know what is and isn't ours to deal with. Your daughter's situation is hers to deal with, for example.

Your grief and feelings of being overwhelmed ARE yours to deal with, though, and I really hope you can get all the support you need both here and in your Alanon group.

(((HUGS)))