View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trying2bhappy

5 weeks and feeling numb

Hi everyone,
I am 5 weeks sober today and physically I'm starting to feel more energized, I've started to workout most days of the week, eat better, etc., however, there is one thing still bothering me...I feel numb, emotionally. I don't want to be touched and most days I just feel like I'm just there, not happy, not sad. Just emotionless I guess?? My husband is starting to notice and thinks it's because I need a drink (for those of you who don't know me, my husband is a big drinker). He says "Since you've quit drinking, you've distanced yourself from everyone". Which is true in a way b/c everyone I know drinks and I don't care to be around them right now. But, he's just looking for a reason for me to start drinking again b/c he "misses" the old me. I do not care to nor do I want to start drinking again, but, I need to stay accountable for my actions and emotions so that I don't get pulled into the alcohol trap again!

My biggest concern is that I won't snap out of this emotionless state. I don't like feeling nothing. Why does this happen and is it normal after quitting drinking and how long will it last?? I'm sure that I had some depression in the past and I definitely have some anxiety, but, the anxiety seems to be relieved since I quit drinking. BTW, I'm 38 and I've been drinking on and off since about age 16. Thanks for your help!!!