Notices

5 weeks and feeling numb

Old 10-06-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 weeks and feeling numb

Hi everyone,
I am 5 weeks sober today and physically I'm starting to feel more energized, I've started to workout most days of the week, eat better, etc., however, there is one thing still bothering me...I feel numb, emotionally. I don't want to be touched and most days I just feel like I'm just there, not happy, not sad. Just emotionless I guess?? My husband is starting to notice and thinks it's because I need a drink (for those of you who don't know me, my husband is a big drinker). He says "Since you've quit drinking, you've distanced yourself from everyone". Which is true in a way b/c everyone I know drinks and I don't care to be around them right now. But, he's just looking for a reason for me to start drinking again b/c he "misses" the old me. I do not care to nor do I want to start drinking again, but, I need to stay accountable for my actions and emotions so that I don't get pulled into the alcohol trap again!

My biggest concern is that I won't snap out of this emotionless state. I don't like feeling nothing. Why does this happen and is it normal after quitting drinking and how long will it last?? I'm sure that I had some depression in the past and I definitely have some anxiety, but, the anxiety seems to be relieved since I quit drinking. BTW, I'm 38 and I've been drinking on and off since about age 16. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can certainly relate. This is my second attempt at sobriety and working on 70 days. My husband who is a big drinker continues to tell me I was "better" when I was drinking. I find myself unable to cry or express joy but I know after my many years of drinking it is going to take awhile for me to recover and come close to the person who was generally an upbeat person. Depression and anxiety still hindersome but I just take it one day at a time and know I never want to drink again. Some days good, some days not......hang in there and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Everyone goes through emotional phases in recovery. The most valuable thing you can have right now is patience with yourself. And don't let anyone convince you that you need to drink.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

your brain is normalizing, give time time, you will feel differently in time
Old 10-06-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate. I'm at 4 weeks. At first when I quit my emotions were seesawing all over the place. Now it kind of feels like I don't have any. I imagine there are a number of phases we go through when we stop. I feel lifeless and boring at the moment, and I'm isolating... but, I don't want to drink, so I guess that's the important thing.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

In think it's easy to underestimate the emotion wrench we feel when we quit, Trying2. For me my relationship with alcohol and drugs was the longest lasting relationship I had an as adult.

Years of drinking and drugging took their toll - it took several months for me (3 or so) to feel anything like normal again and a few more months to fully trust those feelings.

Of course, if this is concerning you, seeing a Dr is never a bad idea, if only to help put your mind at ease

D
Old 10-06-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"For me my relationship with alcohol and drugs was the longest lasting relationship I had an as adult."

Wow. That just hit me in my gut. Disturbingly true, D.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You know the good thing about getting sober ? ... You get your feelings back

You know the bad thing about getting sober ? ... You get your feelings back

Give your mind and body time to adjust
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to the emotional roller coaster for sure. I found that embracing my hobbies and things that I had left behind in my addiction helped refuel the fire. I also agree with Dee, that consulting a good doctor can be helpful for many. Ultimately, for me it comes down to some patience, time, and getting back to the things I cared about other than drinking and drugging. You will get there. Best of luck and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much! Dee, you really helped me put things into perspective...I never thought about it that way! Alcohol and cigarettes were my longest relationship too! Billymac, I started drinking so young that I never really developed any real interest or hobbies. Maybe that's why I started to drink in the first place?? I had real low self esteem from being a little overweight and didn't think that I was good enough for anything...I sucked at sports, I was too shy to cheer, I wasn't smart enough for the academic clubs, etc. (things that I had thought of myself as a teen). I did develop a love for fitness and nutrition in college, but, it was on and off because I was more concerned about drinking and smoking! I am now, at 38, trying to rekindle my love for fitness.

I know that it will take time for my emotions to heal. I did feel better last night. And talking about my past helps a bunch...things that I'm too embarrassed to even share with my husband, I can share with you all!! Thanks so much for helping me to open up