View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by Sikofit View Post
So, I'm genuinely curious. The minimum boundary, right? So what if my AH drinks until he's sick and pukes all over the bathroom again--would an effective boundary be for me to say, "If I come home to that again, I will pack a bag and leave?" For me, I'd also add that I would 1) go to a nearby hotel (which would kill him because it'd be wasting money), and 2) I would either call in sick to work the next day, or go in late, because I'm not going to worry about keeping up a good work record if HIS actions force my routines to be interrupted. This would also not be good for him or for our finances, of course--so maybe it would be a consequence that would hit him where he lives?

Is something like this a good thing, or a bad thing to do in trying to navigate a somewhat livable life with an ?
Well, boundaries are a very personal thing so what you find comfortable is all that really matters.

That said, I will offer that boundaries are NOT intended to be ultimatums or used as a punishment. It's about YOU creating a safe place FOR YOU during a situation you find intolerable. It's a way for you to defend yourself when you are feeling unsafe, disrespected, abused or taken advantage of.

IMHO your example above sounds more like a you are striving to punish him with consequences rather than acting in defense of your own best interests. If you find the situation intolerable & need to remove yourself, that's cool - but giving yourself permission ahead of time to skip work or create a financial strain because it will "hit him where it hurts" just sounds retaliatory to me.