View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mrrryah1

I went to see a counsellor with my fiance as we were having relationship problems. She made me fill out some information sheets about myself. Including questions like "do you have any issues with substances, have you been treated for addictions in the past, etc.".

I was honest. Yes - I'm an alcoholic. Yes - I'm still drinking.

She looked over our sheets and immediately told us that while she would love to help, there is nothing she can do until I address my substance abuse issues. She could continue to take our money & see us, but our relationship will not improve until I get help as an individual.

She said, if I become sober, she will see us again, and can assist with any relationship troubles.

It hit home and it made alot of sense.

However, I will say that it sounds like you're trying to control the show here. Being a little bit manipulative by arranging an "addictions counsellor" behind his back, etc.

Only your husband can get himself sober, when he is ready and willing. Nobody can do that for him. Trying to do so will probably only create more problems for yourself.

Why not see a counsellor who specializes in co-dependency/people with alcoholic spouses for yourself?