View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thumper

I don't think it is necessarily a bad plan. My ex and I did some similar sessions with a few differences. For one - I had already filed for divorce so there was no disillusionment as to what was going on. We went with the goal of being able to communicate and co-parent. My ex looked at is as marriage counseling to save the marriage and admitted as much at one point but that was not because I wasn't upfront. We filled out all the forms that counselors give initially etc. After, three or four sessions she said she would no longer see us together if he didn't participate in a recovery program. He declined. She'd work with either of us individually. He had first choice since he started with her originally and brought me in but he didn't want to so I stayed with her. It was sooo good for me. It might be a better use of your time to see her on your own until you are ready to move forward with your plans and then bring him into a session. Being totally honest with the counselor is the best way to get the most out of therapy.