Old 09-28-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Of course you'll get there! You are on your way now. By changing your life and removing alcohol from the equation, you are moving in a new direction, one that will open doors and improve areas of your life that will take you by surprise. Will it happen tomorrow? Unless you win the lottery, probably not, but by changing the dynamic of your life from a negative downward spiral to a positive march forward, you will be able to accomplish things in time that will absolutely amaze you. I've been sober six years now, and I had arrived at a place where only death seemed likely. I was a complete mess. But I changed my life, slowly, one day, one small step at a time. You can do it too.

Try to enjoy the journey, although in early sobriety its kind of difficult. But if you take a few minutes every evening and try to isolate the things that you achieved (no matter how small) the productive decisions you made, the healthy choices that you opted for, you will soon see the positive trends in your day-to-day life. You took the dog for a walk (instead of tripping over him/her as you stumbled to the bottle for a refill). You had a ripe peach or a glass of fresh juice (instead of yet another liquid lunch/dinner). You read a great book then fell asleep in clean sheets (instead of passing out in a bed that hasn't been made in months). Small steps forward, but wow, one day those small steps can and will change your life and make those dreams that seem so unattainable a reality.

These may seem like small victories, but they are so much more! Every step in the right direction, no matter how small, moves you closer to the bigger victories that are sure to await you on your new, positive life path path. Some days it will be hard to find even a small step forward, but just staying sober another day is a HUGE victory!

I probably sound like Little Mary Sunshine, but I have seen it happen again and again, and I want you to believe that it can and will happen to you. Just remember to do two things....Stay sober, and keep moving forward. Whether you progress in inches or miles is beside the point. Keep pushing in a positive direction, and one day you will look around and find that you've accomplished all of those dreams that seemed so out of reach!
Beautiful post, longbeachone.