View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
heartcore

Countrygirl -

"As far as what I see in him...ugh. Well, being freshly sober it's like someone dropped a dead thing at my feet and now I'm trying to figure out what it is. It's amazing what I did not notice while drunk."

Ha!! I had exactly the same experience. Found a "great love" during my relapse. Such a great love that I not only loved him greatly, but paraded him all around my community and introduced him to all my friends and posted pictures of him on my facebook labelled "my beloved" and scrolled photos of him on my phone at work during breaks just so I could look at his amazing face when I wasn't with him...

Then. I. Got. Sober. You described it perfectly. Someone dropped a deal thing at my feet and now I'm trying to discover what it is...

It lasted a couple of weeks after that. I kept scanning his face, trying to understand what I had felt just a mere couple of weeks ago. The stale beer smell permeated the blankets of my bed.

Needless to say, I am stumped when EVERYONE in my life asks me "how are things going with your super love?" Since I don't discuss my sobriety with everyone in town, I just say "well, that was a very fun summer love, but once the leaves started to turn, I realized it wasn't a good fit for me over the winter." Which makes me sound shallow and seasonal... oh well. This is Alaska. If someone's not right for you, you actually do get rid of them before winter.

One wise work friend noted "yeah, he was a transitional love." That makes sense to me. Now, sometimes, that's what I answer.