View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
honeypig

kris, welcome to SR. I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. SR is a great place to come for support when dealing with addiction and/or alcoholism.

The first thing I'd suggest is for you to read here as much as you can. Don't miss the stickies at the top of the page. One of the threads from that section that you might find helpful is this one: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

Another thing you will probably find helpful is Alanon. It's a wonderful resource for both education and support for the family and friends of alcoholics. The combination of Alanon for face-to-face support and SR the rest of the time has been a powerful one for me.

I know you want to help your mom, but I think you already know the answer--you can't help her unless she WANTS help. Even if you somehow scrounge the money for an intervention, even if you decide a psychiatric commitment is not "too harsh", you simply cannot force her to get sober. You say she kicked drugs, so she IS aware of how to go about finding recovery if she wants it.

The one person you can definitely help is yourself, and that is what both SR and Alanon will work with--how to focus on yourself and your needs, how you can be happy and peaceful regardless of what your mom is or isn't doing. That might sound heartless or downright crazy right now, but as you learn more, you'll start to understand.

Stop in here frequently, read, post, get involved w/Alanon, and see if things don't begin to look different in time.

Wishing you strength and clarity.