View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Soberwolf
Do your best

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The only point of sponsorship in my experience is to take someone through the steps.

The Fellowship (AA Meetings) are made up of newcomers and oldtimers (those that have completed the steps and had an awakening). The point of the meetings is for oldtimers (not defined by age but completed the steps) to share their experience, hope and strength with the newcomer and potentially sponsor and teach the spiritual toolkit (12 simple steps). Once the newccomer completes the steps and has a spiritual awakening they return to the meetings as an old timer and work the 12 step of providing service to others.

Hope that helps clarify how I see the program, which is actually two parts (Fellowship or meetings) and (Steps and Big Book).

Here is a graphical representation: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anding-aa.html
Hi jdooner i never made myself clear apoligies... how are you btw

after my first mtn i asked the guy will u be my sponser he had 3 years and there was a bit more to it than that but he said yes straight away

he didnt inform me of steps i didnt want to do steps but i had already asked for him to be my sponser

after a few weeks sobriety i quickly realised thats exactly what the sponser is for

so me not wanting to do the steps lead to some interesting conversations with ppl

why have u got a sponser i got that a lot lol

i cant really explain this but im not in aa i had my awakening without the steps yet i still consider him my sponser and he still sees me as sponsee we are more like brothers than anything else

sorry for any mix up