View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

My dad was an alcoholic and eventually died of it a few years back!!

I completely understand the one sided nature of things, I sought in adult life to rekindle some sort of a relationship with him, as my parents had divorced during my childhood and I didn't see him for years, but after a while it became apparent that it was never going to be father/son, not even friendship, it eventually resembled acquaintances, and unless I called/visited him there was nothing coming from the other side.

In the end I finally had to make peace with myself, stop beating myself up, and accept I did my best, I couldn't change who he was, he was an alcoholic, blamed everyone else for everything, never admitted anything and lived for going to the pub every day, every time I saw him it had to be in a bar.

At the end of the day we all make our own decisions in life and have to live with them, my dad sadly choose alcohol over his family, and as frustrating as that felt a lot of the time, I did the best I could and have no guilt on my part that I didn't give it a good shot on my part!!