View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Finrod

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
They call that the "geographical cure." Problem is that alcoholism is a very portable disease As far as sobriety goes, moving changes nothing. However, if moving is the only possible way to keep things together then it's an option, but don't kid yourself. If you got a job in another state and didn't remain sober, the illness of alcoholism would continue to progress and you'd eventually be fired all over again. Moving may tend to strengthen denial and postpone recovery or prevent it altogether. It's an option of last resort which has substantial risks. It's far better to stay put and work out some temporary means to put food on the table, etc.

W
Hi Polarblue. Take a deep breath and slow down some. I hope you dont take this wrong: There is a lot of good advice for you here. I'm gonna join the majority and tell you to concentrate on YOU first and try to get a handle on getting serious about some kind of treatment and try to make a level-headed plan. But i mainly commented becsuse I want you to know about how the "geographical cure" worked for me. It didn't. Not the 1st time nor any other of the several that I tried every few months/years afterwards. My problem was that every time I moved, I concentrated on the false idea of a "fresh start.". That doesn't come by loading up and going where nobdy knows about our incidents. I could tell you about several places that I went and started well, but eventually let my addictions out and created more incidents. That became a viscious cycle until I quit running and started the work on a real "fresh start" in & for myself. I wish you thevery best and look forwrd to hearing your progress reports.