View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
3arai

PB,

Why not reach for the best possible outcome? I can see you're catastrophizing and stressing yourself out!

Maybe stop worrying about the unemployment laws for this second. What if you don't even need that unemployment check?

You're going to have enough money to cover the next few months. There's no reason to believe you'll lose anything. You can handle this.

It might be a good idea to find someone who works as a headhunter, a resume service, and interview coach. I'm sure this kind of service(s) has a more official name. Find someone with good references. You're going to need some help navigating upcoming job interviews, so get that help! Yes, it can be done! I know this is frightening but there are people who manage to finesse an interview even with a criminal record or ten year employment gap. It can be done. YOU can do this.

If it takes a little bit to find a job in your field at your usual rate of pay, what are some plan B's for money? For example, I have waitressed, worked as a nanny/babysitter, run a carpool for the college kids in my apartment complex. These are jobs I can get quickly. Can you make a list of jobs you could get right away? Do you have a spare room for taking in a roommate?

I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended. It's not legal advice. I have no idea if your previous employer did everything 100% perfect in regard to your termination, but clearly you were noticeably drunk at work, so they let you go. Would you feel better simply putting it squarely in the past and deciding to move forward?

I think it's pretty typical of later stage alcoholism to be pretty sloshed and think *nobody knows, I have got this so covered*
That's how people get DUI's and stuff. Don't beat yourself up. You're hardly the first person to lose a job over drinking. The most important thing is that you stop, and take steps to stay quit.
This is a very vulnerable time for you so take care of yourself.