View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
closetlobster

Regaining interests during sobriety...

I've been off the drink now for two weeks and one thing has become apparent: I'm looking to more positive/productive activities to occupy my time. Only today, I've began to notice that I spent a HUGE amount of time either drinking with friends or alone.

For me, these activities have included hitting the gym, cycling, cooking, planning future holidays/trips and focusing more clearly on my career.

These were all things I neglected (particularly the my health and fitness) when I was saturating myself in 2 - 3 litres of 13% wine at the weekends... not to mention my weekday evening drinking too.

HOWEVER, I occasionally feel a voice saying things like ''HEY, look at the weather! You've had a hard week...Go and meet the boys and sit outside with a cold one''

Although, as for a lot of people here, that seemingly innocent idea is a slippery slope. So I distract myself and recognise that I'd neglect my other passions when alcohol is added into the equation.

This is one thing that tells my AV to '**** off!'.

What new interests have you picked up since kicking the booze? Or what have you reengaged with?