Notices

Regaining interests during sobriety...

Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Regaining interests during sobriety...

I've been off the drink now for two weeks and one thing has become apparent: I'm looking to more positive/productive activities to occupy my time. Only today, I've began to notice that I spent a HUGE amount of time either drinking with friends or alone.

For me, these activities have included hitting the gym, cycling, cooking, planning future holidays/trips and focusing more clearly on my career.

These were all things I neglected (particularly the my health and fitness) when I was saturating myself in 2 - 3 litres of 13% wine at the weekends... not to mention my weekday evening drinking too.

HOWEVER, I occasionally feel a voice saying things like ''HEY, look at the weather! You've had a hard week...Go and meet the boys and sit outside with a cold one''

Although, as for a lot of people here, that seemingly innocent idea is a slippery slope. So I distract myself and recognise that I'd neglect my other passions when alcohol is added into the equation.

This is one thing that tells my AV to '**** off!'.

What new interests have you picked up since kicking the booze? Or what have you reengaged with?
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep!!

We neglect a lot when we're spending large chunks of our lives pouring poison down our necks and obliterating our minds....

Running, hiking, kayaking, martial arts, the gym, yoga, reading, paying bills, noticing the simple things, going for walks, connecting with friends and family, chores, finances..... you name it, I am more focused on it, more aware of it, doing better at it in sobriety.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got back to the simple pleasures - family time, reading, walking, yoga.

I have found lots of things to do in the city where I live, too.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I brainstormed all the things that I used to like to do, the things that I've always thought about or wished I could do (but didn't, because I was drinking and/or couldn't afford it, due to spending my extraneous income on alcohol). I wrote them down in a word doc and proceeded to try different ones.

I'm learning that these interests return gradually. Oh, and I did find working out and general exercise to be really rewarding in more ways than one.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I started to make the effort every single time and started working on myself and doing things that Anna said

i volenteer from time to time

enrolled on a introduction to a plastering course (passed)

read quite a few books

enrolled on a floorlaying course (passed)

waiting to hear on my last bit of training im ringing on monday to find out

basically i was told to do nothing major in my first year and although i left aa after month 11i heeded that advice and its paid off

that being said im itching to get back into work and start saving properly to go on holidays etc

everything in time