View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Interesting thing I'd like to put out there regarding this...

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
(Exodus 20:17 ESV)
“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”
I went to catholic school for 8 years. Bible quotes like this didn't help me in my struggles, they made things worse. Not only was I now feeling and doing what I was, but I was feeling even crappier about it with the added guilt, which usually led to me doing it all the more.

One of the things I think that makes AA the healing force that it is, is that nobody judges anybody, threatens them, or makes them feel guilty. They accept and love them, and then the healing comes. Love heals, fear and guilt doesn't.

So... not coming here to look down upon a bible quote, but to add something I heard later in life that made all the sense in the world to me. In one of the Conversations With God books, the author (who claims God channeled things through him) states that the 10 commandments aren't commandments, as God would never command anybody to do anything. What they are are 10 commitments. Should we choose to lead a god centered life (work a 3rd step in AA language), then these are the gifts we will indeed receive. We shall no longer kill. We shall no longer covet thy neighbors wife, etc...

I found this to be my experience. Didn't help me to say, "I better not do this anymore, or god's going to be pissed at me." My god is much more loving than that.

Just my opinion on this stuff. Not looking to get into a religious debate. I know others feel differently, and it works differently for them. And I respect that. This is what worked for me.