View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
BackToSquareOne

Originally Posted by aussieblue View Post
That's another thing I think about a lot , I am 54 , I wish I had stopped at a young age or not even started to drink in the first place , but weather it is harder for someone who has been drinking since they were a teenager into their 50's to stop and stay stopped. Some people seem to stop easier than others.

I'm 57, stopped 6 years ago at 51. The hardest part was it was my main source of release/relief. Kind of odd that something could be both a source of pleasure and pain, alcohol was really both in a big way for me. It is really like Freshstart said tho, you eventually figure out that you don't really need it.

I can't say there aren't times I wish I had the ability to instantly change the way I feel that alcohol once provided. That would be nice if I didn't have to take all the downside that went with it. I guess it's like a package deal and the pain part of it was just more than I could deal with any longer. When the hangovers turn into detox and withdrawal its time to rethink the whole thing.