Old 04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KelKel

Tommy
This is such a tricky area of discussion, in all reality getting sober does any one of us a world of good and most see their depression and mental disorders lifted as well.... but what about those who truly suffer from a chemical imbalance in our brains?
My name is Kellie and i am an alcoholic.
I also suffer from manic depression.
I have suffered with the depression as long as I can remember.
It is very common for people with mental disorders to self-medicate with alcohol/drugs... my attempts to treat my imbalance lead me into full-blown alcoholism (gutter-drunk). There is no doubt in my mind that I have an addiction to alcohol.
The worst thing we can do is to add more water to the already drowning feeling of depression. Total insanity. It is like throwing ourselves overboard with a big weight attached.
When I first got sober some old timers informed me that all I needed to do was get sober and that would cure me of what ailed me..... several suicide attempts later, I made a decision to treat both of my problems with equal attention.
I have a good psch.dr and go to AA for my alcoholism.
I come here for both
Everybody is different when it comes to this issue, I do know that alot of psych. dr's will not even attempt to diagnose until you have some solid sober time under your belt...
I no longer feel comfortable to sit and listen while others assure us that getting clean and sober will make the mental illness vanish, that almost cost me my life and in some cases is simply not true or realistic.