Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Calling all depressives: did your depression lift once you quit alcohol?

Notices

Old 04-05-2005, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is partly in response to a post by Captainizing (can't remember his full name lol) over on the newbies board (I'm a newbie by the way, currently 36 hours sober and loving it ).

I was diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety when I was 17, and until relatively recently always thought of myself as a depressive rather than an alcoholic. Looking back, I think alcohol may always have been the problem although my drinking patterns weren't really pathological (IMO) until around 22/23 (plenty of binge-drinking mind you). I've heard it suggested that some people just aren't cut out for alcohol in the same way that, say, some psychotropic drug users become institutionalised for life with serious psychological disturbances and some come off the drugs and are able to lead happy lives - the former category of people are clearly 'hard-wired' in a way that makes them more likely to be 'tipped over the edge' into madness. I now have a theory that alcohol made me seriously depressed and I should never have touched it, and I know some psychiatrists think this is true of some poeple.

My question is: how many depressives who drank (like me) found their depression basically lifted when they sobered up, and if not straight away, how long did it take? I found Captainizing's post (NB he said it took about a year) very inspiring, the most inspiring reason not to drink I think I've found on these boards yet (and that's saying something!)

I'm asking specifically about depressives, people diagnosed with depression; obviously everyone's lives improve when they sober up and therefore they are less 'depressed'; but I'm talking mood disorders here, not general outlook.

thanks everyone!
tommy
Old 04-05-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Exclamation Yes

I had been fighting depression for years.
About 3 months sober it lifted.

This is not true for all alcoholics.

Blessings..
Old 04-05-2005, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=CarolD]I had been fighting depression for years.
About 3 months sober it lifted.

This is not true for all alcoholics.

...but nevertheless inspiring. Thank you.
Tommy
Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey Tommy!
I'd been battling depression for years too probably from around 17 never "diagnosed" bi-polar or anything, but definitely my swings were not of the normal kind of person.

Alcohol totally, totally exacerbated the situation, as did some situational factors, which made me drink more, more depressed, etc etc

I've been on prozac a few years now, i think my combined use of it and alcohol was disastrous - I wasn't depressed, but definitely numb. Within my first month of being sober I felt my depression lifted - now bear in mind that this might seem quick, but had the help of the prozac. One thing that came along with the depression lifting - my mom asked me to describe how I felt and what popped out was " I am not afraid of anything" - I hadnt even realised that I was 'afraid' to begin with!

Since then I have meddled in alcohol once or twice (trying mainly to try and be a normal drinker even though I know the answer to it!) now I have my sponsor and I am back to 2 weeks totally sober and again, I feel my depression is lifting. If I weren't on prozac, I can't say, but I can say that I was pretty depressed while drinking and on prozac...even in the times between the drunks - ie between binges maybe a week or 2 at a time dry - made no difference, very down, very depressed.

Hope this helps!
cathy31
x
Old 04-05-2005, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Tommy.One thing that has really helped me is spending time at the gym.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tommy
This is such a tricky area of discussion, in all reality getting sober does any one of us a world of good and most see their depression and mental disorders lifted as well.... but what about those who truly suffer from a chemical imbalance in our brains?
My name is Kellie and i am an alcoholic.
I also suffer from manic depression.
I have suffered with the depression as long as I can remember.
It is very common for people with mental disorders to self-medicate with alcohol/drugs... my attempts to treat my imbalance lead me into full-blown alcoholism (gutter-drunk). There is no doubt in my mind that I have an addiction to alcohol.
The worst thing we can do is to add more water to the already drowning feeling of depression. Total insanity. It is like throwing ourselves overboard with a big weight attached.
When I first got sober some old timers informed me that all I needed to do was get sober and that would cure me of what ailed me..... several suicide attempts later, I made a decision to treat both of my problems with equal attention.
I have a good psch.dr and go to AA for my alcoholism.
I come here for both
Everybody is different when it comes to this issue, I do know that alot of psych. dr's will not even attempt to diagnose until you have some solid sober time under your belt...
I no longer feel comfortable to sit and listen while others assure us that getting clean and sober will make the mental illness vanish, that almost cost me my life and in some cases is simply not true or realistic.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Thanks for sharing Kelkel, that is a very powerful and interesting post.
Cathy31
x
Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tommy -

I'm with Kelkel on this one... I had major depression prior to ever picking up a drink; the drinking just made an existing mental health issue much worse. I am seeing a therapist and a doctor for my depression and I am finally going to give AA a shot at helping me with my alcoholism. I think both things need to be treated separately, but simultaneously, if that makes any sense. I do think that ceasing drinking has a natural uplifting effect, but I don't think that sobering up will completely clear up depression, if you have it in the clinical sense.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic!

all the best,
anne
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

For many of us that began drinking at an early age , it's hard for me to know. I can't recall a lot of my childhood. I just know from 13 to 14 on, drinking was involved.

6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Did i drink because, I was depressed. Did my drinking cause my depression.

Not drinking for a year will be a good way to come to grips with your moods.

I have one mood today. (((((((HAPPY))))))
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks everyone - I'm pretty sure I never had bipolar disorder, I saw quite a few people when I was 17 (and since) and that's never come up, just straightforward clinical depression, incidentally mixed with a LOT of anxiety problems, always much much worse of course during hangovers (took me YEARS to recognise that one!) Obviously giving up the booze is going to be important (I like the drowning image Kelkel...well not exactly like but it's useful ), I'm just wondering if maybe alcohol was always the main cause of my mental health problems in my case - my 'breakdown' which precipitated all my meetings with psychiatrists, etc. could be pinpointed to one day, and it was the first time I was ever really really really hungover. I just couldn't cope - massive anxiety, brain rushing with completely unstoppable intrusive thoughts (I though I was becoming schizophrenic at one point), almost unable to function socially. And those feelings then remained for a long time (to some extent up to the present day). Maybe I've been 'self-medicating' with the very thing that's actually been causing and therefore prolonging it this whole time.

I know I should be careful not to expect miracles when I stop drinking though, as came up in my meeting last night - and I'm wary now of quick highs as much as my lows too. Gosh, I'm turning into a regular AA groupie! Which must be a good thing!

cheers
tommy
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ps

Oh and T2S - spending time at the gym. I know, excercise is the number 1 help to poor mental heath. Unfortunately it requires a lot of self-discipline...one thing at a time I think, off the booze then I'll try and get myself motivated to go jogging!

T
Old 04-05-2005, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Tommy,

staying sober is not a cure all as you mentioned but, if your drinking was heavy, depression follows.

I'd feel bad the day after heavy drinking and drink to feel better
Old 04-06-2005, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Tommy,as already been said,everyone,s depression is different.Personlly i think its dangerous to compare one,s depression with anothers.its great to share,get info.,from all kinds of people,s experiences,though.So, i will share what happened to me.I had depression,all my life,that was getting worse,as time went on.Some days i couldnt get out of bed,only to force myself to.Went to the Doctors.Went to 3,to get different opinions.I was given the lastest lables,chemical imbalance,and heck today i forget the other 2.As these Doctors were explaining my condition,i just felt that no,this is not right.I dont know why i felt this,but i did.I guess,the hopelessness of it all,and that i needed meds,were what turned me of.For by now,having been in recovery programs for a while,ive had,some,of,the miracles come into my life.Why not depression????Got to thinking,that maybe my thinking was the problem.What i personally did was head for some spiritual info.Closer relationship with God.Also got some positive,thinking books,to help me change my thoughts.Worked on my stinking thinking.Every time a negitive thoughts came,flushing,i pushed it out with song.,new thoughts,And Prayed for sanity.The chemical imbalance?yea,i felt the dizzingness,swaying{thats how it affected me,dont know about others}at times.The crazy thoughts,over and over.Accepted it,shrug shoulders.,and just kept on.Eventually all of my depression,through His Grace,,is gone,and has been for many,years.I did expect a miracle.And it happened in my life.Also got out of self,more of a blance.Time to take care of my recovery ,a time to help others.Looking back,i was way to much into da self.Way to much.wasnt healthy.When i first started to drink,i never drank for pleasure,never.I drank to try to get rid,of all that negitive,thinking,and crazyiness in my head.Didnt work...This is how it all turned out for me.I cant He can,and i let Him....Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless,,take care!!

Last edited by Cap3; 04-06-2005 at 07:15 AM. Reason: adding to