Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cathy31
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey Tommy!
I'd been battling depression for years too probably from around 17 never "diagnosed" bi-polar or anything, but definitely my swings were not of the normal kind of person.

Alcohol totally, totally exacerbated the situation, as did some situational factors, which made me drink more, more depressed, etc etc

I've been on prozac a few years now, i think my combined use of it and alcohol was disastrous - I wasn't depressed, but definitely numb. Within my first month of being sober I felt my depression lifted - now bear in mind that this might seem quick, but had the help of the prozac. One thing that came along with the depression lifting - my mom asked me to describe how I felt and what popped out was " I am not afraid of anything" - I hadnt even realised that I was 'afraid' to begin with!

Since then I have meddled in alcohol once or twice (trying mainly to try and be a normal drinker even though I know the answer to it!) now I have my sponsor and I am back to 2 weeks totally sober and again, I feel my depression is lifting. If I weren't on prozac, I can't say, but I can say that I was pretty depressed while drinking and on prozac...even in the times between the drunks - ie between binges maybe a week or 2 at a time dry - made no difference, very down, very depressed.

Hope this helps!
cathy31
x