View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
bellanoviella

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
Last month, I was driving to my favorite dinner when a dog leapt in front of my car from my left. I didn't see her, but I knew I hit her; I looked in my rearview mirror and she was spinning around on her hip, yelping.

Stopped the car, got out, and the owner rushed his dog, freaking out. She bit him, and then his daughter was screaming to take her to the vet. He gently picked her up and put her in his truck. I asked if there was anything I could do.

He paused, and admitted he was out of work and didn't know if he could afford the vet bill. I told him I'd be by tomorrow to speak with him. So he takes off, and I'm in the driveway with his daughter.

Now...I have a miserable poker face. When I'm upset, I show it. I love dogs, and I felt for the guy for being out of work with a family to support. And the daughter was telling me it wasn't my fault. And, of course, it wasn't, but it didn't make me feel any better. I turned around and saw her younger sister, bawling her eyes out. So I got my wallet out and gave the older sister $185 toward the vet bill and told her I'd be back tomorrow.

Of course, I couldn't wait until then. So I went back to the house later, fully expecting to learn the dog had to be put down and expecting the worst out of the owner.

It turns out the dog's pelvis was broken but she was going to be OK. And the owner (and his wife) couldn't have been more graceful. He shook my hand 3 times, and his wife kept touching my shoulder, both grateful that I actually gave a sh*t and wanted to help them during a difficult time.

I don't know how I kept my sh*t together. I got back in my car and immediately thanked God for the dog being safe.

In any event, Firefall, I'm sorry about your car. But like me hitting a dog, these things happen. It could have been worse; you could have been in the car when it was hit. Or he could have driven into your house. Sh*t happens sometimes. And when it does, the question is how do we respond? During my crisis, the only thing I could do was face it head on. What are you going to do?

Random events aren't like addicts or people with character disorders who undercut our stability with their behavior.

So, like I said above ^^^^^^^ you can "close their account". Or you can keep it open, be passive, and allow people to mess with you. You have a choice.

Enjoy a gorgeous summer day. Time to hit the driving range...fore!!!...
Feels good to be righteous