View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SoberLife2014

"No one has to know" - I'll know.
"Aren't you curious?" - No, I've tried it hundreds of times.
"You can't quit forever. Just look at all the statistics of alcoholics like you, the outcome looks grim" - All that matters is today.
"Just this once" - You said that last time.
"We need a proper 'goodbye' party" - You also said that last time.
"Sometimes I miss that pink/red/white wine..." - That's because you're addicted to alcohol.
"Screw the wine, vodka is cheaper and will do a quicker job" - Also because you're addicted to alcohol.
"Maybe we can start this again... when you're older... when the kids move out. Then no one will care" (the kid is 1 yr old) - Maybe, but not today... and probably never.

And there are about a billion other things.
I respond by saying "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind" and then I let it run it's course. Or I play the tape through. Or I come on here
Or I just see it for what it is - an addiction. A part of my brain that short circuited and now thinks it needs alcohol, when it really doesn't. My lizard brain. I don't have to respond to it. It'll always be there running it's little thoughts like some sort of a robot. It'll play my emotions and desires against me. That's what it does, but it's ok. I choose not to feed it.