View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

*I can't quit drinking 'just like that'.
*I am out of control and helpless
*I am scared to death of quitting drinking. How could I possibly survive without alcohol?
*If I could quit or control my drinking, I would have done it long before this
*If I could quit, I certainly can't quit now.
*It's genetic, look at my father and my uncles. No wonder I drink.
*I can never do this on my own.
*I have a disease which will get worse and worse.
*Even if I quit for a little while, I will relapse time after time.
*I will never 'recover' from alcoholism
*I will always be in danger of losing control and drinking.
*I will need to be constantly on guard.
*I will need divine help to stop, and the most I can ever hope for is to quit for one day at a time.
*I am a worthless POS, and I need to drink to numb this thought or I will lose my mind.

Once I quit, I wasn't really susceptible to any of these, drinking again was simply never going to happen. Once I got that, it didn't really matter what my AV had to say. I recognized it as what it was, I accepted that it was there and I would experience it because of my drinking, and I separated from it. Because I had quit, this AV wasn't me anymore, it was nothing more than my urge to get buzzed trying to see another drink.

Recognizing thoughts of drinking, and also thoughts of self doubt and inability to quit, for what they are, is the first step. Recognize these thoughts, acknowledge them and observe them. They by themselves can't compel you to act. You retain that power yourself.

Once you decide that you deserve a life without alcohol, and decide that this alcoholism as a way of life is not worthy of you, you will find your way forward. You can do it, you can quit alcohol for good, NotSoIvory. Belief in yourself, and do it. Onward!