Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Did Someone Say 'Floors'?

Welp, with the Telephonic Theme this Weekend, 'Switchboard Susan' by Nick Lowe/Rockpile seems a good Musical fit. Sly Lyrics linked below...

Music Link

'Switchboard Susan' ~ Nick Lowe

Switchboard Susan Lyrics

After hitting a near-record temp last Wednesday of 94 F, we awoke this morning to what I call 'Scotland Without The Airfare'. 48 F. Rain & Drizzle. Low Cloud Ceiling. Breezy & invigorating. Lovely, actually, since it's somewhat rare around here. I popped awake just after Midnight and shut down the Yard Sprinklers that had just automatically cycled on. Add this Water Bill savings to my substantial Liquor Store $$ savings.

Gotta love Flooring talk! When Designing/Building our Solar-run Retirement House, I went with polished Concrete Floors w/Throw Rugs. Build Foundation. Fill with 2 Semi Trucks of Sand. Flood with Water and level. Install rigid Insulation. Pour 6" of Concrete w/Radiant Floor Tubing embedded. We walk on tons of passively-heated Mass that reaches a temp and just coasts along. I haven't activated the Floor Heating yet because the Joint never drops below 50 F at night; even on -10 F Winter Nights. I'll get around to it... Heating now is via 2 small Space Heaters.

By paying attention to the Roof Eaves/Truss Calculations, the Sun in the Pic below streams in ~13.5' at Winter Solstice on 22 December. The Sun doesn't ingress past the South Door Thresholds at all at Summer Solstice on 22 June. Free Heat/Cooling. Yah, the Floor could have used a Wet Mop in this Pic. The Janitor allegedly had a Drinking problem.

Polishing the Floor w/a Commercial Floor Buffer was like riding a bucking Bronco. The proprietary Top Coat would 'set', and the massive Buffer would 'stick' and slam me into the nearest Wall. Tough work that I should have Sub'bed out to some Stud Muffin 'Kid'. Along with Super Insulation, the Joint is very comfy. I figgered we could change/add Floor surfaces over time as we like. Start simple. Though not visible below, there's highlights of Lavender and Copper green embedded; thanks to the Acid Etch.

The Pooch loves chasing a flattened Plastic Bottle. Chases it, and bats it around like a Hockey Puck. Surprisingly, the Floor is not very slippery and maintenance is a breeze. Especially with the Whole House Vacuum System I plumbed in. Thing could suck Chrome off a Trailer Ball.

Happy FAC to all: 'Fee_nominal Attitude Commiseration'!

-------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B - Solar Floor_750.jpg (44.1 KB, 84 views)