View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Verte
pray for strength

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
The more I read here, the more afraid I'm becoming of relapsing. Should I have a plan in place?
Eyes open. Bravely move forward. Grab that fear, push it out and behind you. Take a look around at the things that feel good in your life, sans alcohol. All the things that are good and have not a thing to do with the consumption of alcohol. This is what you have created and brought to your life.

ESD, like jumping off the high dive as a kid for the very first time. Pick a point on the horizon and go for it with all your heart. Knowing that this simple achievement feels great and is moving you forward. Keep going for it.

The reality of my problem with alcohol hit me as I contemplated bringing something new and great into my life. Down to my core I have the capacity to consistently achieve things that feel real and genuinely good. But with alcohol in the picture there would be the constant internal struggle and dialogue - a totally unnecessary expenditure of brain power. Drinking brings a potential for inflicting great damage to many people other than myself. Am I capable of keeping good things in my life? Yes, absolutely. But with alcohol there are zero guarantees - a total crap shoot and the thrill is just gone. End of story.

"No matter what happens or how I feel, not today" - majorityofone. Excellent. I love this 'childishly simple' plan. It really works!

Great thread ESD A lot of excellent sentiments.